South Pointe Middle School

Skip to main content
Main Menu Toggle
About » School Profile

School Profile

South Pointe Middle School is part of the Walnut Valley Unified School District and serves over 900 students in grades six through eight. South Pointe feeds into both of the district's comprehensive high schools, sending approximately 60% of its students to Diamond Bar High School and the remaining 40% to Walnut High School.  Two of our four elementary feeder schools are International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme schools. 
South Pointe is a high-performing Title I Targeted Assisted middle school with a diverse student population.  This includes American Indian 0.12%, Asian 62%, Pacific Islander 0.35%, African American .82%, Two or More Races 4.8%, White 3.4%, Filipino 3.41%, Hispanic 20%, and Multi-Ethnic (Non-Hispanic) 10%.   Additionally, within this population 25% of our students are socio-economically disadvantaged, 9% are English Learners, and 8% are students with disabilities.  Meeting these diverse needs takes a strong and dedicated staff.
Our highly qualified teaching staff ensures the success of every student by addressing their diverse needs by providing a rigorous, well-balanced curriculum that engages and inspires our students in preparation for THEIR future. This curriculum includes a Systemic School-Wide Intervention and Enrichment program that integrates multiple intelligences and 21st Century learning. Our award-winning academics and performing arts programs, combined with innovative opportunities such as Project Lead the Way, Robotics, Science Olympiad, and Math Counts help to create a school filled with STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering the Arts, and Math)!  
South Pointe offers many exciting activities, clubs, athletics, Student Leadership, and live daily news shows, ensuring ALL students feel connected to our school culture.  South Pointe students enter high school well prepared through a firm academic foundation and with the character strengths that will allow them to achieve their individual goals. Our journey as an educational team is to instill Panther Pride and prepare our students to be successful global citizens and problem-solvers. 
We know our program is effective, as South Pointe was recognized as a California Distinguished School in 2019, 2013, 2004, and 1999.  South Pointe's STEAM program brought us recognition as an Exemplary Arts School in 2019, 2016, and 2014.  South Pointe Middle School was also recognized as a Gold Ribbon and Gold Ribbon Exemplary Arts School in 2014, and a state and national School-to-Watch in 2019 and 2016.